Nestled within the flat, rich lands of San Carlos, the Arenal Volcano rises up from the rainforest like a natural monument. Arenal is Costa Rica's most active volcano, with eruptions since 1968. One of many remarkable sights, this mountain of fire symbolizes the adventure and mysticism of the region. The Arenal Volcano Region is also home to many award-winning hotels, including Tabacon Grand Spa & Thermal Resort, Arenal Kioro and The Springs Resort. Tabacon, a member of the Leading Hotels of the World, Leading Spas of the World and recognized by both Spa Finder's Readers' Choice Awards and Travel & Leisure, is Costa Rica's most renowned hot springs spa.
With its rolling hills, cattle farms, rainforest, and Costa Rica's largest lake, the Arenal area's verdant landscape is a cornucopia of bio-diversity. Known as the adventure capital of Costa Rica, many visitors opt to begin their vacation in this popular region and complement their exciting nature exploits with the relaxing Guanacaste or Manuel Antonio beaches.
We recommend a minimum stay of three nights in Arenal, allowing enough time to enjoy the nature adventures, gaze at the Volcano and relax in the hot springs. Many visitors opt to take advantage of the region's proximity to both the Central Valley mountain range and Monteverde, making this the next stop in their itinerary. A visit to Arenal is also perfectly complemented by a stay in the Guanacaste Beaches. Arenal is easily accessible by air, with daily flights connecting this popular region to the rest of the country.
Suggested Activities While in Arenal:
- Relax at the country's top hot springs resorts, featuring breathtaking volcano views and lush tropical gardens. Some of Costa Rica's top spas and therapists make Arenal their home. (The hot springs are included for those staying at Arenal Kioro or Tabacón Grand Spa.)
- Visit La Fortuna Waterfall, a short three miles from town, where you can see magnificent waterfalls cascade into the rainforest and have the opportunity to hike and swim in the river.
- Go rafting on the Sarapiqui River. The river has Class III and IV rafting for adventure aficionados and Floating Safari Class II rafting for slower paced, nature lovers. Both are excellent tours featuring amazing scenery, interesting wildlife and thrilling adventure.
- Try canyoning, one of the country's top adventure activities. Rappel down five walls, including four waterfalls, inside the rainforest -- truly an unforgettable experience!
- For nature and kayaking lovers, the Arenal Lake offers the opportunity to experience a memorable kayaking outing with the possibility to spot interesting wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Tour the forest from the Hanging Bridges Tour. This is an impressive hike in the rainforest over a series of suspension bridges. View various types of flora and fauna at differing heights -- from the ground to well above the canopy. What a way to see the jungle!
- Experience the thrill of traveling through the canopy of the rainforest on the Sky Trek aerial Tram, one of Costa Rica's most popular tours. Enjoy the rainforest from this unique vantage point and a get a real adrenaline rush!
- On your way to El Castillo and the Sky Trek, stop at the Arenal National Park where you will learn all about the Arenal Volcano and its history.
- Extreme adventure aficionados will thrive during a visit to the Venado Caves. Spend 1½ to 2 hours in a guided visit -- climbing walls, sliding through mud-holes, hiking in underground rivers, and exploring these unique caves.
Feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us toll free at (888) 928-3688 to talk to one of our Costa Rica vacation specialists or to design a customized Costa Rica travel package that includes a visit to the Arenal Volcano/La Fortuna de San Carlos region.